Skip to Primary Content

Massachusetts Equine Clinic

Interstate Health Certificates

If you are planning to travel out of state with your horse, federal and state law requires you to have an Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. A veterinary examination is required before a health certificate will be issued. Some states have more rigid requirements, such as examinations to be within 10 days of entry or coggins certificates to be negative within a 6 month time period prior to entering that state. You can view state specific equine requirements at

Traveling Trailer for Horse


In order to get a health certificate from The Massachusetts Equine Clinic please call our office at (508) 278-6511 well in advance to schedule an appointment. At the time of your call, please have the following information ready:

  • Date of departure

  • Who will be shipping the horse(s)

  • Reason for movement (showing, training, sale, or permanent move)

  • Address and phone number of your destination

In addition, your horse must have a negative coggins within one year. If we did not do the coggins, please e-mail or fax a legible copy to our office prior to your appointment.

After your appointment, the health certificate will be created and e-mailed to you. Please print this certificate in color and be sure a copy travels with your horse. Once the certificate has been created, changes cannot be made. The health certificate is valid for 30 days.

At Massachusetts Equine Clinic, we are here to help. Please call us at (508) 278-6511 or contact us below to schedule your pre-purchase exam.